Respecting RAW black and white flag

Home Forums RAW Power for macOS General Discussion Respecting RAW black and white flag

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Heather Kavanagh
    Participant

Hello everyone! I am an Aperture refugee. I’m a hobbyist photographer, mainly landscape stuff, and my Canon EOS 7D is now getting on a bit – but so am I! I really miss Aperture, though…

Anyway, I’ve resolved to do more photography after about five years off the hobby. I also need to learn to use RAW Power, so I’m embarking on an open ended simple photo project that will let me learn how it works as well as hopefully rekindle my photo mojo.

I have a custom setting on my camera that lets me shoot black and white direct to the RAW file. Importing these to Aperture (and Photos) would respect the black and white flag for thumbnails and for editing. RAW Power seems to recognise the flag, shows the thumbs in mono, but after a second or two renders the main large view in colour.

Is there a way to either force RAW Power to see and recognise the B&W flag for the large views as well as the thumbnails? If it can’t – currently, knowing the software is always under development, in which case consider this a feature request! – is it a matter of creating a custom preset I have to apply to every image?

Thanks

Heather

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

Hi Heather,

If you set up your camera to shoot black and white, you will get a black and white JPEG, but a color RAW. RAWs are always in color (not counting monochrome cameras like some Leicas). What you are seeing in Aperture, Photos, and RAW Power is the embedded JPEG, which is also rendered in black and white. Aperture will replace that embedded JPEG with a color one (depending on how you have set up the preferences). Photos will also replace the embedded with its own rendering, though it may not do it right away (What to do about embedded JPEGs is a constantly evolving / changing thing.).

I just imported a Sony RAW that was set up that way and Photos first showed it as black and white and then replaced it with the color version. I’m not sure what you are seeing, but that behavior is what I would expect.

RAW Power does have a setting to control some of that behavior, but it doesn’t apply if you are using Photos because Photos is already replacing the embedded JPEG.
    –Nik

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

Hi Heather,

If you set up your camera to shoot black and white, you will get a black and white JPEG, but a color RAW. RAWs are always in color (not counting monochrome cameras like some Leicas). What you are seeing in Aperture, Photos, and RAW Power is the embedded JPEG, which is also rendered in black and white. Aperture will replace that embedded JPEG with a color one (depending on how you have set up the preferences). Photos will also replace the embedded with its own rendering, though it may not do it right away (What to do about embedded JPEGs is a constantly evolving / changing thing.).

I just imported a Sony RAW that was set up that way and Photos first showed it as black and white and then replaced it with the color version. I’m not sure what you are seeing, but that behavior is what I would expect.

RAW Power does have a setting to control some of that behavior, but it doesn’t apply if you are using Photos because Photos is already replacing the embedded JPEG.
    –Nik

Heather Kavanagh
    Participant

Hi Nik

Thanks for the reply. I think I need to go back and do some proper testing to check what I think I’m seeing. I am pretty sure Aperture respected the flag/embedded JPEG through the import process.

I don’t use Photos for “proper” photographic processing, more as a CMS with some basic stuff attached. Even your plugin doesn’t make Photos a nice place to be for me. The good photography was always Aperture, and now RAW Power.

Heather

Heather Kavanagh
    Participant

A quick addition to my earlier post…

I just tested importing black and white flagged RAWs into Photos* and I was wrong. They are switched to the colour version.

* I am not running the latest Mac OS. I’m running 10.14 Mojave. I have legacy software that is broken by later upgrades. Can anyone guess what it might be? 😆

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

I’m glad you are seeing what I’m seeing. As I mentioned, policy about how to handle embedded JPEGs changes from time to time – there isn’t a single “right” answer. Yes, I can guess which piece of software was broken 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.