Frequent crashes on iPad Pro

Home Forums RAW Power for iOS General Discussion Frequent crashes on iPad Pro

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    thewildrover
    Participant

Hi Nik,

I’ve been trying out Raw Power alongside Photos for the last week or so now, among other apps too, but RP is my favourite so far.

However, it is crashing/quitting quite frequently (often enough that it spoils the workflow). It seems to happen at a couple of notable points. First it happens after a batch process, select a batch of images in an album, apply Auto Enhance, then click ‘Allow’. It’s usually completed the process before the crash, so I can re-open and carry on editing.

Other times it crashes while editing, doesn’t seem to be related to any particular adjustment, and is rather random, can happen after a handful of images, or a few dozen, but usually before I’ve finished working though an album. I only usually tweak things like Boost, highlights and shadows, exposure etc., sometimes a bit of cropping.

Seems OK for general browsing.

I’ve been using Pixelmator in a similar fashion, and seen no issues at all with that, and my library is very fresh (haven’t even finished uploading everything yet).

New iPad Pro 12.9” 512GB, recently installed Raw Power.

Cheers

Andy

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

Hi,

I’m sorry the app is crashing on you so much. iOS is a challenging platform to write for – if an app uses the tiniest amount more memory than the system can support, the app is instantly terminated by the OS. I have made significant improvements to Auto Enhance for the next release (3.1). It uses much less memory and is much faster as well. That should help a lot with the first crash.

As far as the other one, it’s hard to tell right now. If you are interested in beta testing the 3.1 release, please email support@gentlemencoders.com and I can put you on the list. Maybe we can figure out the second one too.

thewildrover
    Participant

Hi Nik,

Thanks for the reply. OK, I understand what’s going on a bit more, so no worries.

I think I’ve sorted the second issue, I also started seeing all sorts of weird things happening, such as multiple ‘Revert’ boxes not related to the image I was working on. So I ran the Reindex option, and that seems to be resolved now, as is the crash when editing.

As far as the batch process crash, would it help to run it on smaller sets of images, My albums vary from a handful to many hundreds. Would working on, say, a max of 100 at a time be better?

Cheers, and thank you for an otherwise great photo editor (I also have the Mac version).

Andy

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

Hi Andy,

I’m glad the re-index helped you. I have not heard about multiple revert boxes appearing – that’s a first…

Yes, I think running smaller batches will probably help, especially on iOS.

–Nik

thewildrover
    Participant

Yes it does seem to have helped for sure.

My apologies, I did mean the ‘Modify’ dialogue, although I think it did happen with the Revert too. If I clicked on the ‘Done’ button, I sometimes got the Modify box, or Revert box, pop up twice, and then put me back into Edit mode, after I’d clicked them.

I’ve tried an album with 106 images, and that crashed, although I’ve also done some with over 300 and it’s been fine. These are all 16MP NEF images. So not by any means a consistent issue.

Cheers

Andy.

thewildrover
    Participant

Hi again Nik,

Just an update on this one. Since I’ve been learning more about my workflow with editing in Raw Power, I have been doing most of my editing manually, and had little trouble overall, apart from the odd ‘quit’, it’s been fine.

Just recently I was experimenting with using the Auto Enhance function (clicking the magic wand icon), mostly to see whether I preferred curves or levels as a setting. I generally find I prefer to work with the Levels panel myself.

However, from that I have found that the crashing has been more frequent. After a little more editing, using different workflows, it does seem to be pretty frequent when trying to carry out further edits after using Auto Enhance. It doesn’t seem to matter what edit tool I use either, I can get the crash as I’m about to select almost any of the editing tools, although it does seem more frequent in the Levels panels.

Another pointer there, when using the Auto Enhance, some poorly exposed images can get unusual results in the Levels panel, i.e. the adjuster tags are all shifted to the left (blacks end) end of the scale, and it’s made the image completely blacked out. If I try to adjust one of those, it crashes almost every time. If I use the Levels panel’s own Auto adjust button, it does a better job of correcting the exposure, and I get no crashes (or at least very rarely – once every few hundred or so images).

If I go back to editing fully manually, then I also very rarely get a crash, similarly once every few hundred images or more.

Cheers

Andy.

Catas
    Participant

It looks like I’m not alone with these kind of crashes.
    I had reported about them too. Can’t wait for the next release.
    I am on 3.2.1 vr, an it looks like we still have randomly crashing.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Catas.
    TN Args
    Participant

I am using 3.2.4

I have also had the batch crashing that the OP reported. Small batching does help.

I think there could be a link between the crashing and the Levels tool. Maybe Nik can look at this @nik

Why do I say this? Well, I was running auto-enhance (on one image at a time) and quite often getting a totally black image. I soon found that this was happening because the Levels tool was choosing crazy settings — typically with the high, mid and low markers on the bottom axis all crushed to the left end of the scale. And if I try to correct the totally black image manually, after a couple of adjustments on the Levels tool, Raw Power crashes.

I have now turned off, in Settings, the option to use Levels in Auto-Enhance. No more black images.

If the Levels tool is crashing the app when manually adjusted, as I have noticed, then it might also be behind the batch crashing. But I haven’t tested this theory.

So, Nik, a couple of things to maybe look at. 1. Auto Enhance with Levels giving crazy settings in Levels and a pitch black photo. 2. Crashing when playing with Levels tool (especially after it makes a totally black image in auto mode).

Cheers

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by TN Args.
    thewildrover
    Participant

Hi TN Args,

Thanks for confirming my issue too.

I’m still seeing this issue, but have ended up not using Auto Enhance much at all – almost never on a Raw images, and sometimes on JPEGs if they’re from an iPhone.

I have found that it doesn’t matter if I use Batch to apply Auto Enhance to a selection of images, or if I apply it individually using the button at the top of the adjustments panel.

I must admit I haven’t checked to see if this is the same when I turn off Levels in the preferences, and use Curves instead. For my own preference I use Levels, as I find I just get along with it better (and I prefer starting with the ‘Luminance’ setting). But when I have recently tried it, it does often go to that ‘crazy’ setting with all the points shoved over the the left side – that seems to happen on poorly exposed images, and then crashes as soon as I try to correct it. It doesn’t need to have done the crazy thing though, any time I adjust the Levels after Auto Enhance, it will crash.

But for now, this problem has actually made me work better manually, and I’ve found a good workflow that works for me without needing Auto Enhance.

Regards.

Catas
    Participant

Hi guys.
    Thank you for what you found and share.
    I am at the latest version right now and RP still crashing even if I wanted to export originals in small batch from files inside app, to the destination album in photos.
    I wanted use RP for culling but it is useless so I am nearly forgetting it using in iPad. Too bad. Yet it is working as desired in MB.
    I can understand Nik is working alone but…

thewildrover
    Participant

Hi Nik,

Just another update, with regard to specifically the crash when using Levels in Auto Enhance, it does seem to be just the Levels module that’s causing this. I’ve done some trials using Curves instead, and I get no silly all dark settings appearing in the curves module, and I get no crashes if I try to amend the settings in the curves module.

I don’t get any crashes if I edit manually and use the Levels module.

Cheers

Andy.

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

Hi Andy and Catas,

Sorry – I didn’t see this thread.
    Andy: Levels generating black images: do you think you could share an image with me with the problem? I haven’t seen this in my own testing. There is a dropbox upload link you can use: https://www.dropbox.com/request/URZ12srbCokrdYn4I0gE

Catas: I think I found a bug with exporting which causes excessive memory use. I plan to have a fix for that soon. Hopefully that addresses the problem.

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

By the way, it’s much faster to email me than to post here – I have many different things to check and the forums often get skipped. So, please use the forums for discussion and email for bugs: support@gentlemencoders.com

thewildrover
    Participant

Hi Nik,

Thank you for spotting this, apologies for not using the correct support channel.

I’ve uploaded a set of images showing the processes I’ve used in an image that gets the wacky settings in levels, also showing some screenshots of the original, and other editing methods. On the auto enhanced image using levels, if I try to adjust the levels manually, Raw Power just crashes. All other methods work fine.

Cheers,

Andy.

thewildrover
    Participant

I forgot to add the original Raw, which I’ve now done.

Cheers

Andy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.