Adding an Non System Photo Library

Home Forums RAW Power Help Forum Adding an Non System Photo Library

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    sunlam
    Participant

Hi Nik,

Is there a way to add an alternative Mac OSX photo library; i.e., not the system photo library, to the RAW Power 3 app? I converted my old Aperture library to this alternative library before Catalina dropped, and now trying to figure out if I can use it from Raw Power 3.

RAW Power 3 looks slick btw.

Thanks,
    Sun

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

Hi Sun,

Right now, there is no way for RAW Power to open any library other than the current system photo library. This is a limitation of macOS [I can ask to open “THE library”, but not “a library of my choosing”].

That said, you can change which library is the System Photo Library in Photos preferences, so you can switch it in Photos first, and then open RAW Power.

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

Hi Sun,

Right now, there is no way for RAW Power to open any library other than the current system photo library. This is a limitation of macOS [I can ask to open “THE library”, but not “a library of my choosing”].

That said, you can change which library is the System Photo Library in Photos preferences, so you can switch it in Photos first, and then open RAW Power.

sunlam
    Participant

Thank you Nik for the quick reply!

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

Another way to manage multiple libraries (especially when dealing with iCloud) is to create a separate user on your Mac. The iCloud library might be one user and the non-iCloud library might be a different user. You can switch between users faster than you can switch between libraries!

GuyHammond
    Participant

Hi Nik

Just recently started using the trial of RP3 after becoming thoroughly disillusioned with another photo editing app. So far I’m very impressed and like the integration with Photos although, as another user has mentioned, I’d like the ability to export directly to the Photos Library.

Also, regarding multiple libraries, if I create a separate user with a separate System Photo Library but only have one iCloud account, wouldn’t they all become merged into one library?

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

If you create a separate user, with the same iCloud account, then yes, they will be merged. However, my idea was for people who have both an iCloud library and a non-iCloud library and they want to be able to work with them independently. Switching between those with Photos is a pain and it’s error-prone, compared with just switching users.

GuyHammond
    Participant

I agree Nik, it’s best avoided if possible. I think I assumed that the System Photo Library was always linked to iCloud photos but obviously not. It’s a while since I’ve used any additional libraries although I do have a couple of archived ones I might try and open.

Presumably, one could also do it through a VM? I have Mojave running on VMWare in order to use some apps that don’t work with Catalina. You wouldn’t even have to switch users then.

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

Here are the rules.

iCloud will only sync a library if it’s the System Photo Library.
    The System Photo Library does not need to be connected to iCloud.
    RAW Power can only read the System Photo Library.

A VM will probably not work super well for editing images, because GPU acceleration generally does not work in VMs and RAW Power is very reliant on a fast GPU.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.