XMP sidecar files

Home Forums RAW Power Help Forum XMP sidecar files

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ddddddrrrrrrr
    Participant

Is it possible for RAW Power (when inn ‘folder” mode) to read/write star and favourite ratings to/from XMP sidecar files?

I use FastRawViewer for culling and those ratings are written to sidecar files, but don’t show up in RAW Power. Likewise, any additional ratings/tagging done in RAW Power is stuck inside RAW Power. I’ve been around long enough to be really wary of my ratings and tags being tied to a product/database rather than the image files themselves.

If that is logistically impossible for whatever reason, being able to replace the stars/favourites with finder tags could potentially work – I would just need to manually/automatically sync them outside of RAW Power (as who knows if I will be using MacOS in 10 or 15 years)

Thanks!

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

Hi,

It’s certainly possible to read/write the ratings to a sidecar – right now they are saved in a database for performance reasons, but I would like to add some kind of export ability. It could conceivably write them both to the database and to the sidecar. I was trying not to spew sidecars all over the place when people make small changes like ratings or flags, but it would be reasonable to make it some kind of option.

ddddddrrrrrrr
    Participant

Would be amazingly useful (for me at least).

Some apps I’ve seen doing it check whichever is newer (the amp file) or the database entry and update the other accordingly – allows for ‘cross application’ synchronisation.

sslupsky
    Participant

I ran into a similar issue that I am wondering about. I imported a bunch of 2020 photos from my SD card onto my mac. I then used Raw Power to do some processing and enhancement and apply some ratings. I have found that the filters in Raw Power only work on the selected folder and it is not possible to select multiple folders. So, I thought to try to create a Finder smart folder and filter them based on Rating. When I create the smart folder in Finder, there is a search attribute named “Rating” but that doesn’t seem to pick up any of the photos I rated in Raw Power. So, I surmise from the message above that the ratings that Raw Power creates are not the same as the “Rating” attribute use by Spot Light / Finder. It would be great if there could be some way to synchronize the Raw Power rating with Finder Rating search attribute.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by sslupsky.
    Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

That’s a good idea. Thanks for suggesting it.

photonopticum
    Participant

is this the reasons why star ratings given in RawPower are not „compatible with“ or showin up in LR CC (and vice versa)? It would like for ratings and flags to be interchangeable with Lightroom. I use both softwares, RP for organization and distribution of Raw files to photo editing software. I use LR for most, if not many edits as I have a better handle on the tools than in RP. I don‘t use LR and the storage/organizational feature…. is that possible?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.