True 16-bit TIF/PNG on iOS

Home Forums RAW Power for iOS General Discussion True 16-bit TIF/PNG on iOS

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Dmitri R.
    Participant

Dear Nik,

1. Once I exported a 16-bit TIF image from RAW Power, I got a 69.4 Mb TIF. The same DNG raw negative developed/exported with Camera+ 2 to 16-bit TIF takes 40.6 Mb. Both the output TIFF images are indicated as 16-bit ones, and have LZW compression. Why this occurs? In which case I got true 16-bit image?

2. I tried to contact with Affinity Photo support on the subject of 16-bit floating point TIFs. No reply during all these days, despite I am a registered user there. It seems that Affinity Photo needs a replacement when working on iOS. All that I like to do is to move my usual photo workflow to iOS (but without Adobe products due to their unacceptable subscruption policy). Could you explain me which graphics editor for iOS accepts 16-bit floating point TIFs exported from RAW Power, please? We all know all the iOS software, so it seems I am asking about Pixelmator for iOS. Because no other graphic editor were ported to iOS for yet, except Photoshop, Affinity, and Pixelmator. How to do post-development of 16-bit floating point TIF images exported from RAW Power?

3. Another. Can RAW Power be a replacement of a graphics editor for iOS? I conclude that not for yet. Just because there such necesary tools as inpainting/healing brush, masking engine, layer engine, and many others are absent in RAW Power. Adding all the tools to RAW Power would be highly difficult, if at all reasonable: I consider RAW Power as a replacement of Lightroom/DxO/CaptureOne on iOS, not as a fully functional graphics editor. But adding a pro-grade camera shooting RAW looks to be very promising. As well as film presets in the deveopment module.

Thank you.

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

Hi Dmitri,

1. I’m not sure why the file sizes would be so different. I do not know how Camera+ does its decode or its export, so it’s hard for me to know for sure. However, it is true that RAW Power TIFF images on iOS are floating point, so they may not compress as well as integer ones. I am working with Apple on a way to create 16-bit integer tiffs using their libraries.

RAW Power generates 16-bit integer PNGs so that is an alternative — they are also losslessly compressed.

2. Pixelmator is able to open 16-bit floating point TIFFs from RAW Power — I just tried it.

3. RAW Power does not have all the features that you listed (like healing or brushing), so it cannot fully replace applications for customers that need those features. It is possible to add many of those features to RAW Power and most of them are on my list for the future. However, there are a lot of features on the list, so I cannot make any promised about when those might appear.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.