Supported File Types

Home Forums RAW Power for macOS General Discussion Supported File Types

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    porterprinting
    Participant

It seems RawPower does not supported .EPS or .SVG or and Affinity photo file types? This basically renders half of my library inaccessible through this App. Am I missing something here? .AI renders thumbnails but none of the other vector formats. But I ditched Adobe.

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

The app supports image file formats, not vector file formats. It also doesn’t support document formats from other apps (e.g, Pixelmator files and such). It is that way because RAW Power uses Apple’s image reading libraries and in general, their libraries do not support those formats. Sorry.

porterprinting
    Participant

Why does Finder render .eps, .svg, and affinity thumbnails, if Apple does not support those formats? Why support .AI vector? So, you don’t plan to have any other main stream vector thumbnail rendering? That would be a shame, you have a really nice piece of software here that a large segment of designers that are not married to Adobe would be vary interested in to replace “Bridge”. But, without basic vector support, not even .PDF, I think you are missing a large part of your potential market.

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

The Finder isn’t rendering those thumbnails. Applications can provide a custom thumbnail for a document, and some do. If there is no custom thumbnail, the Finder will then attempt to make its own (that happens sometimes for images like TIFFs that usually don’t have an embedded thumbnail). If that can’t be done, the Finder draws a generic icon. For example, I have several EPS files that have just a generic icon. If I try to open them in Preview, it sits for a very long time attempting to render them for display. Same with SVG. Some apps support them (and set custom icons), but the OS in general does not.

As far as whether the app should support them, I guess it depends on what you mean by “support” – are you asking about being able to edit them? That’s not something I would create – it would need an entire vector drawing system. Or perhaps, just display and rating / flag / filtering? Then, that is more possible, but would be a considerable effort. PDF is possible, since the OS has support for that, but that also leads to a question of multiple pages. Are you asking for the ability to view multiple pages, annotate and stuff like that (Preview can do that, currently)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.