Some bugs perhaps

Home Forums RAW Power for iOS General Discussion Some bugs perhaps

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    thewildrover
    Participant

Hi

I’m just posting this here first to see if anyone else has feedback on these issues.

I’m using Raw Power on an iPad Pro 12.9″ (2020), in conjunction with Photos. I think I’ve mentioned some of these before, but wanted to summarise the oddities I’m experiencing from time to time.

• The Levels in Auto Enhance mode bug (crashing, and showing all the sliders moved fully to the left) seems to have re-appeared, at least since OS 15 anyway. It’s certainly not as prevalent, but it’s happened once or twice again. Although in fairness I rarely use the Auto Enhance tool anyway.
    • Editing mode still slows down (some sliders have really bag lag, but not all!) after editing a few images, perhaps 15 or so. I have to force restart Raw Power to fix this (Pixelmator does not suffer with this, so I don’t think this is entirely a hardware limitation).
    • One I can consistently reproduce, if I am editing a set of images, and decide to mark one as rejected, or even delete it, when I select the next image, the Histogram does not work, it remains frozen. I fix this by choosing a different image, then going back to it.
    • I have some older Fuji RAF images that I converted to DNG (to force iOS compatibility), which gives me a reduced Raw Processing tool set (only Boost, Black Boost, Black Point and Noise Reduction show). If I choose the ‘Last Edited Image’ preset, or even create a new preset, the Noise Reduction slider always resets to zero.
    • Sometimes the crop tool can play up a little, if I misjudge my ‘clicks’ in the straighten tool, it sometimes loses the grid view, and sometimes it’s tricky to drag the crop box after using Straighten – it can move on two axis even when selecting one edge, and might not allow dragging to the limits of the image.

These are by no means disastrous, and can usually be worked around or reset, but of course it’d be nice to have perfection :-).

Cheers.

Andy.

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

Hi Andy,

Levels should not be crashing; it sounds like something specific to certain images. If you can upload a sample image that crashes, I can look into a fix. Please email support@gentlemencoders.com and I will send you the URL (I don’t want to publish the URL here on a public-facing website).

Editing slows down – I’m not sure what you are seeing, so it’s hard for me to determine what the issue is. I have not experience something similar; slider lag usually indicates the GPU is being overdriven, but I would think your machine would be plenty capable enough.

I’ll make a note of the histogram issue. That’s a new one for me.

RAW Brick. The sliders provides are determined by Apple based on the format of the file. Depending on the version of DNG you used, you will get different sliders. The preset could have a bug based on that series of steps.

Yes, the crop and straighten tool needs refinement. I’m not happy with it either 🙁

–Nik

thewildrover
    Participant

Hi Nik

Thanks for the reply.

Levels should not be crashing; it sounds like something specific to certain images. If you can upload a sample image that crashes, I can look into a fix. Please email support@gentlemencoders.com and I will send you the URL (I don’t want to publish the URL here on a public-facing website).

This is the same thing happening as last time I reported it in a previous article I posted. I’ll try and find an image that it happens with.

Editing slows down – I’m not sure what you are seeing, so it’s hard for me to determine what the issue is. I have not experience something similar; slider lag usually indicates the GPU is being overdriven, but I would think your machine would be plenty capable enough.

What I’m doing is opening an Album from Photos, and editing an image, then moving onto the next by clicking on the thumbnail strip. I’m working through the album like this for perhaps 12-15 images, without any issues at all, all sliders are operating smoothly and instantly. Then all of a sudden, the sliders move with a lot of lag, I drag one, and then it’ll move after a second or two. This happens with any of the normal sliders, such as Exposure, Saturation, Sharpening, and so on. But the Levels tools works without any lag at all when this happens. Quite strange.

RAW Brick. The sliders provides are determined by Apple based on the format of the file. Depending on the version of DNG you used, you will get different sliders. The preset could have a bug based on that series of steps.

Ok, I kind of expected that might be the case there (apart from the NR bug).

Yes, the crop and straighten tool needs refinement. I’m not happy with it either 🙁

You can get the right result eventually, if you keep trying.

Cheers

Andy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.