Sliders

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    billy-gs
    Participant

Hi,

Would it be possible to make the sliders less sensitive? On the 11“ iPad for example, I find it sometimes difficult to adjust the sliders in small amounts. Even if I use the pencil the steps seem a bit too large. If I am not mistaken this behaviour is similar on the Mac App.

Best Regards
    Billy

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

Have you tried the “gear down” mode for sliders (only on iOS)? To do that, touch the slider and move your finger down half an inch or so. The ball will turn green. Then as you move left/right, the slider makes smaller changes.

billy-gs
    Participant

Thanks for the tip, nice feature, it’s not really smooth but it work’s. It’s also a bit difficult to use with the pencil.

Can the size of the sliders panel be adjusted to make it larger or wider?

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

I’m sorry that the gear down doesn’t work well for you – other customers have been quite happy with it.

No, there isn’t a way to adjust the size of the panel or the sliders. Sorry.

thewildrover
    Participant

Hi Nik,

I too have mentioned this in the past, especially when using the Pencil to move the sliders. It can be tricky to make the movement for the ‘gear down’ action.

My issue is that with some of the sliders, the Colour (Color!) ones for Saturation and Vibrancy in particular, can be too aggressive. I find that they have a lot of unused movement, as for most images I’m ending up with a less than 0.1 increment is needed. It can be fiddly to get into the ideal levels.

I don’t think the size of the sliders needs adjusting though, they’re fine for size. How about a different approach to the two step gearing applied (Photos increases the level with the Option key, and there’s also an prefs panel option in Pixelmator to change the scaling on the sliders – but these are the opposite to Raw Power, and perhaps make more sense for normal use). Certainly on the iPad version, the scales could be the opposite way round.

Just some thoughts there.

Cheers

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

Not clear what you are suggesting. What would you prefer?

thewildrover
    Participant

Hi Nik,

My thought is that the scaling of the sliders is opposite to what is really needed with some of the sliders.

The ‘gear-down’ function is, I think, unique to Raw Power, so difficult to compare, but perhaps that look at Photos as an example.

In Photos, the normal scale gives a short range of adjustment (-1.0 to 0.0 to 1.0 with 0.01 increments), so a certain amount of movement gives a modest amount of change to the image. If you need a more aggressive change to the image, then you can hold down Option to increase the scale to -2.0 to 0.0 to 2.0 in 0.01 increments, so the same about of movement on the slider gives double the effect. But it means the default is the more controllable scale.

There is a similar function in Pixelmator Photo too, which works similarly to the one in Photos.

In Raw Power this seems to be a different philosophy, so you have to ‘gear down’ to get the greater control over the amount of adjustment.

It just seems very tricky, especially on an iPad, to get fine enough control without using ‘gear down’. This is most noticeable in the Saturation and Vibrancy slider, where I find it’s most common to be trying be using the 0.0x levels on the scale if I don’t use ‘gear down’ I’m fiddling about back and forth trying to find the right spot.

Hope that helps.

Andy

Nadeem Ayoob
    Participant

Would it be possible to implement a feature to allow, if you tap on the slider’s number value it brings up a dialog box (looks like a calculator screen) allowing us to enter a specific value? For example, on white balance tapping on the temp value a dialog box allows us to enter a specific temp, or tapping on the value of the exposure slider allows us to enter a specific value like 1.37.

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

Yes, I can see the value of that. I’ll put it on the list, but can’t make any promises.

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

Andy,

I’ll have to think about your suggestion. Looking at Photos for iOS, I don’t see anything like the Option to expand the range. I get the same range whether I hold the option key down or not (and of course that doesn’t work for a device that doesn’t have a keyboard). Keep in mind you can double-tap on a slider to reset the value.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.