is there a possibility to get a switch in Raw Power settings to remove Halide from the options for image sources? I have tried the Halide app a couple of years ago, only to find that the results are extremely disappointing. I attributed the bad image quality to the outdated camera in my iPhone 6S. But even with my new iPhone SE 2020, it is an absolute disgrace. So I would much rather never come across Halide again.
On that note, I would be happy to hear from someone that actually manages to capture images using Halide whose raw conversion results (JPG) are better (sharper, less noise etc.) than the JPGs produced by the iOS camera app itself.
iPhone RAWs are inherently noisier than iPhone JPEGs. That’s because they don’t benefit from multiple image fusion and the various computational photography algorithms that Apple can apply when making a JPEG.
As far as removing the setting, it’s possible, but that would leave a hole in the interface. There isn’t a second camera app that RAW Power integrates with.
iPhone RAW images still have advantages over JPEGs, even if they are noisier than Apple’s sophisticated ones.
1) they have >8 bits of color depth
2) they are not lossy compressed
3) they can be white balanced much better
4) they will continue to improve in quality as RAW decoding algorithms improve
5) you have control over the decode and can adjust the tone curve and other aspects of the development, like with any RAW.