Raw Power not selecting Raw File in Photos App

Home Forums RAW Power for macOS General Discussion Raw Power not selecting Raw File in Photos App

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Travis Bishop
    Participant

I am having lots of problems trying to get raw power to select the raw file in Photos.

I import my jpeg+raw photos.
    I then select use Raw as original.
    Then go to edit and select Raw Power, the Raw Power editor opens, however I have the exclamation mark saying
    “Either the image is not a RAW, or it is a RAW that was edited previously in Photos. ”

The image has not been edited in photos. I can also confirm when I open the image in photos the “revert to original” is not available.

The only way I have found to work around this is to make a small edit in Photos.
    The I can then press the Revert to Original
    Then I can open edit again and select raw power and now I can edit the Raw file.

However this is a very time consuming way to do it.

Is there something I am missing here?

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

There is a bug in Photos with switching between R+J (I have reported it to them).

If you switch between R and J inside Photos’ Edit, then the extension gets the wrong image (and it has no ability to pick a different one).

If you switch outside of Photos Edit, and then enter edit (and then enter the extension), it should work properly.

What you wrote sounded like you were actually doing that, but other parts of your message sounds a lot like the bug I reported.

–Nik

Travis Bishop
    Participant

Hey Nik.

I had tried it both ways.

I went to edit and then switched to RAW then opened the extensions and it selected the jpeg.
    I then tried a different images switch outside of edit to raw, then went to edit and opened the extension and same thing, it selected the jpeg.

I have however found a bit of a work-round that is a bit less painful for the moment then doing them one at a time.

In photos,
    Select all the images you want to switch. then switch to raw. All images switch to say Raw-Jpeg.

Then open up Raw Power and you will noticed that the arrow icon on the thumbnail is present next to RJ (I assume this means that file has been edited)
    Anyway, just select all the images you just switched to Raw in photos, right mouse click and select revert to original). It will batch them all and once done that little arrow is now gone.

Go back to Photos and click on edit on one of these images, open the extension and it now selects the Raw file.

Not ideal but it works.

thewildrover
    Participant

How weird, I’ve been trying this out here, and can’t get it to go wrong at all. Even when I have JPEG set as the default in Photos, Raw Power has been picking up the Raw correctly. Very strange indeed. It does seem as though Photos is applying some kind of edit to those images.

Anyway, that might be helpful to know it’s not a general issue.

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

Travis, what type of RAW file are you using (camera and file extension)?

Travis Bishop
    Participant

Hey Nik.

It is a Canon R6 file extension is .CR3

Travis Bishop
    Participant

Hey Nik.

It is a Canon R6 file extension is .CR3

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

OK, and which OS version? This is a bug that sort of comes and goes. One of the characteristics of the bug is that the Revert to Original menu item is not enabled properly.

You could also try this with the standalone RAW Power app – it can browse the photo library too.

–Nik

Travis Bishop
    Participant

Hey.
    Monterey 12.3.1 (21E258)

using the Raw power app I don’t have any issues, it aways selects the Raw file.

It is probably just the OCD in me but as you know once you edit it in Raw Power it locks it to the Raw file in photos, which is all fine.
    But… in photos the image still says JPEG + RAW instead of RAW + JPEG and of you can use the switch to raw as it is locked.

Only a small thing but it just helps to know what file you are looking at.

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

JPEG+RAW is Photos understanding of which image is “on top”, but it has no way of actually knowing what to display if it’s been edited by another app. Apple does not provide a way for 3rd party apps to switch R+J in a way that informs Photos. RAW Power simply is selecting the right one of the pair. In other words, there isn’t a way for RAW Power to tell Photos what badge to show.

Travis Bishop
    Participant

Yea, I get what you mean about the badge and raw power not being able to change it.

that was why in the workaround I was changing it first in photos, before going to Raw Power, at least when I go back to look I know what image I am looking at.

Travis Bishop
    Participant

Yea, I get what you mean about the badge and raw power not being able to change it.

that was why in the workaround I was changing it first in photos, before going to Raw Power, at least when I go back to look I know what image I am looking at.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.