Raw Power/Apple Photos/Affinity Photos workflow help

Home Forums RAW Power for macOS General Discussion Raw Power/Apple Photos/Affinity Photos workflow help

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    shudder
    Participant

I’d appreciate any help on a workflow I’m trying to set up.

I shoot RAW, use Image Capture to bring the images into Apple Photos, and then use Raw Power to develop them. This part works great — the developed images appear immediately in Photos, and show all my modifications across all my Apple devices, including Shared Albums. Really nice setup.

For a small proportion of the images, I’d like to edit them further in Affinity Photos for dodging and burning and other retouching. Here’s my challenge. When I try to send one of my processed RAW files to Affinity from Apple Photos (using the Edit in Affinity Photos option in the … menu), it seems to send the undeveloped RAW — i.e. I lose my modifications from RAW Power.

I suppose I could export a high-res JPEG (or TIFF?), edit that file in Affinity, export as a high-res JPEG and then import that into my library — but I’d much prefer to be able to do the round trip without creating and deleting intermediate files.

Any elegant solutions here?

Nadeem Ayoob
    Participant

Affinity won’t be able to read/translate the edits you’ve done in Raw Power. As every app is different, the way they apply changes is different, thus no two apps will be compatible (except from the same company i.e. Lightroom to Photoshop). If you want to edit in Affinity with the changes you’ve applied in Raw Power, you’ll need to export a TIFF of the edited image from Apple Photos, then open that in Affinity. Here is a good article (written by Raw Power’s Nik Baht) about editing RAW images The Ins and Outs of Non-destructive Editing in Photos for Mac and iOS.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Nadeem Ayoob.
    jerrysdean43
    Participant

I believe that is normal behavior, editing changes on any raw file would not be visible in another raw editing program, I would think you would probably have to use a TIFF.

Nadeem Ayoob
    Participant

Affinity won’t be able to read/translate the edits you’ve done in Raw Power. As every app is different, the way they apply changes is different, thus no two apps will be compatible (except from the same company i.e. Lightroom to Photoshop). If you want to edit in Affinity with the changes you’ve applied in Raw Power, you’ll need to export a TIFF of the edited image from Apple Photos, then open that in Affinity. Here is a good article (written by Raw Power’s Nik Bhatt) that gives some insight into editing RAW images https://tidbits.com/2019/06/14/the-ins-and-outs-of-non-destructive-editing-in-photos-for-mac-and-ios/

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

If you are using the RAW Power Photos Extension (or any extension, for that matter), the extension must send a JPEG (not a HEIF or TIFF) back to Photos. So, if you then export a TIFF from Photos, you will be getting a TIFF made from a JPEG (this is mentioned in the article cited above). Your best bet is to use the Export button in the RAW Power extension, which will make a TIFF that you can store on your local hard disk.

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

Affinity is incorrectly handling the output from the RAW Power extension. It should be using the image made by RAW Power (which is a JPEG). I don’t know why Affinity can’t just follow the guidelines for extensions. It’s not hard!

If you are using the RAW Power Photos Extension (or any extension, for that matter), the extension must send a JPEG (not a HEIF or TIFF) back to Photos. So, if you then export a TIFF from Photos, you will be getting a TIFF made from a JPEG (this is mentioned in the article cited above). Your best bet is to use the Export button in the RAW Power extension, which will make a TIFF that you can store on your local hard disk.

shudder
    Participant

Ok that all makes sense! Thanks all.

Fwiw I’m not actually using the RAW Power extension… I’m using the RAW Power app with my Photos library.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by shudder.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.