RAW Power and DXO Optics Pro

Home Forums RAW Power Help Forum RAW Power and DXO Optics Pro

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    tatami

I am already using the DXO Optics Pro extension with Apple Photos. I would like to use RAW Photos as well. Does this make sense and if so what workflow would you recommend? DXO Optics Pro followed by RAW Power? Are both extensions non-destructive? Thanks for your help.

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

Hi Tatami,

It is possible to use both extensions, but unfortunately, only the first one you use for an image will get the RAW. The second extension will get a JPEG generated by the first extension. So if you use DxO first for lens correction, you will not get access to the RAW Processing adjustment in RAW Power. If you use it the other way, then RAW Power will get the RAW and DxO will get a JPEG made by RAW Power.

I believe using RAW Power first is the best choice because DxO can perform lens correction on the JPEG created by RAW Power. Please note that RAW Power has built-in lens correction for some cameras, so depending on which camera you have, you may not need DxO. If you want to see if your camera gets lens correction, you can download the trial from our home page.

While extensions are generally non-destructive, this does not apply to sequences of extensions. Once you edit with a second extension, you cannot go back to the first extension and change your edits.

tatami

Thank you for your prompt and helpful response, Nik. I’ve downloaded the trial version as you suggested and I’m not seeing that RAW Power is doing any lens correction, but neither am I sure where to look. How would I find out? FWIW, I’m using a Nikon D90 with a Nikkor 18–200 lens and Nikon D7200 with a Nikkor 18–140mm lens.

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

Neither of those cameras gets lens correction through Apple’s RAW engine, so you will need to use DxO for that. To further your experiment, you can export an image from RAW Power (a JPEG) and import that into Photos. Then try DxO to see if it can correct the lens distortion from the JPEG. I am pretty sure that if that works, then it will also work the same way when you use the RAW Power extension.

tatami

Thanks, Nik. I’ve just tried and it works 🙂 I’ll get a copy from the App Store tomorrow. All the best for 2018.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.