Optimized Storage with Photos

Home Forums RAW Power Help Forum Optimized Storage with Photos

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    markinto
    Participant

If I have the “optimize storage” option enabled for Mac or iOS photos as the backend to Raw Power, what special considerations need to be put in place for viewing or editing photos?

1) Will Raw Power be able to view all the photos, even if some of them are optimized versions instead of original?
    2) Will Raw Power request that Photos download the original version from iCloud, or does this need to be done manually in Photos before editing in Raw Power?
    3) What about if I’m just culling / rating photos using Raw Power? Safe to assume this can be done with the optimized image (assuming answer to #1 above is “yes”)

Thanks!

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

There are no special considerations. Answers to your specific questions:

1) Will Raw Power be able to view all the photos, even if some of them are optimized versions instead of original?

Yes

2) Will Raw Power request that Photos download the original version from iCloud, or does this need to be done manually in Photos before editing in Raw Power?

RAW Power will use the Photo library to download the images on demand. You do not need to use Photos. In addition, there is a “batch download” feature in the app, so you can download the images you are interested in ahead of working. You do not need to use that though.

3) What about if I’m just culling / rating photos using Raw Power? Safe to assume this can be done with the optimized image (assuming answer to #1 above is “yes”)

Yes, the optimized image is generally fine. However, that image is often an embedded JPEG, so it may either be a) small or b) different-looking from the RAW (as embeddeds can be)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.