newbie initial questions

Home Forums RAW Power Help Forum newbie initial questions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    golftango
    Participant

if i only want to see raw files in my directory, how do i get the filter to ‘stick’? how do i get ‘zoom to fit’ to stick?

i got the ios version, but i see no way to share images with mac version. the docs are very confusing for someone who doesn’t use the mac photos app. i tried what the faq said–on ios raw power i edited an image from my ios (icloud) photo library, but i could not get mac version to see it. i then used the /share’ button to share it to raw power and absolutely nothing happened. how do i edit my iphone photos on mac version and my desktop photos using the iphone version?

thanks! /guy

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

if i only want to see raw files in my directory, how do i get the filter to ‘stick’? how do i get ‘zoom to fit’ to stick?

Filters always stick by default. If you specify that you just want to see the RAWs, it will remember that. So, do the following:

Click on the filter
    Filter by file type = RAW
    close the filter.

If you then go to a different album or folder and then go back to the first one, the filter will be applied. Filters are stored per container.

i got the ios version, but i see no way to share images with mac version. the docs are very confusing for someone who doesn’t use the mac photos app. i tried what the faq said–on ios raw power i edited an image from my ios (icloud) photo library, but i could not get mac version to see it. i then used the /share’ button to share it to raw power and absolutely nothing happened. how do i edit my iphone photos on mac version and my desktop photos using the iphone version?

As long as your Mac and iOS device are using the same iCloud Photos library, then the sync should work as you described. Edit an image on iOS, and then when you view the same library on the Mac, the edits will be there (once iCloud syncs them). One way to test this is to use Photos. Edit an image with Photos on iOS, and then go to your Mac and see if the edited image is there. If it is, then the synching is working properly.

golftango
    Participant

many thanks for your response!

i swear they stopped working for quite awhile before i posted this. but now i can change directories and the filter stays set. it survives a restart as well. i can’t explain that. sorry.

how do i select the icloud photos library on the mac version of raw power? i tried to point to it on the icloud drive but couldn’t find a folder with the photos in it. opening a new photo library window from rp does nothing but display some labels on the side which aren’t active. and your reply indicates the confusion between the photo library (which is what the photos app uses and i don’t use it) and the iphone photos library which is on icloud. i followed the faq instructions explicitly for editing on iphone and then trying to open in mac app.

if i was guessing i would say that i can’t point to it because i’m not using photos app and thus there’s no library to find. oh, i did find a photo library file in my /pictures/ directory, but it’s only 300mb and i can’t do anything with it from raw power.

tks, /guy

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by golftango.
    Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

RAW Power can only access the System Photo Library (Apple restriction). You set that in Photos preferences. For iCloud to work, you need to turn on iCloud Photos inside the Photos app. So, step one is to get Photos on the Mac to see your iCloud Photos library. Once you have done that, RAW Power should work fine. That why I suggest starting Photos and testing the sync there.

golftango
    Participant

that’s the conclusion i was coming to. i detest photos and how it works and i’m not sure i want it in my workflow in any capacity.

i see rp has installed a ‘drive’ called raw power next to my icloud drive in the finder listings. why doesn’t the image go there and then i could simply point rp to that folder? the folder is empty, what does rp use it for?

also, is my non use of photos keeping the raw power share and send to raw power from working? the only thing the send to raw did was to create a new image in my iphone photos library. i loved the app right away for its simplicity in editing–i’ve owned dxo photolabs for over a decade and still can’t use it, but i think i’m going to have to abandon the iphone part of it. tks, /guy

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by golftango.
    Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

There are two RAW Power folders. One is stored in your home folder and it is where RAW Power stores editing information when you are not using the photo library. The one in iCloud Drive is not currently used. When you use the photo library, it stores everything there. That way it syncs over iCloud Photos and integrates with Photos properly.

I just found a bug in the Share to RAW Power extension on iOS – it will be fixed in the next update. Share to RAW Power will copy a photo into your library (and place it into a special album for easy access).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.