leica q2 specific (maybe) question

Home Forums RAW Power Help Forum leica q2 specific (maybe) question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    golftango
    Participant

proud owner of a q2 as of about 2-3 weeks ago and then the blizzard hit and i only got outside to shoot yesterday. and, for one of the few times in my life i shot jpeg+raw. i’ve used nearly all the raw editors and detest every one of them for not being intuitive at all. i’ve stuck with dxo for the lens profiles, but i can barely use it otherwise. but when i found raw power which did seem to have a ‘profile’ for the q2, i was able to figure out a lot of it by simple intuition so i determined to again try shooting raw. especially now i have a 47mp sensor camera to take advantage of all the quality i can get.

anyway, the q2 has a similar scheme to panasonic in that you can get a sort of teleconverter mode (leica calls it ‘digital zoom’ which is a very very bad label and a misnomer, as most of us know, i’m sure) where you can get different ‘focal lengths’ with a tradeoff in resolution. the q2 has a very handy button which comes programmed by default to throw up frame lines for the sizes much like the m cameras: 28 / 35 / 50 / 75mm.

some owners report their raw programs show what frame was used, but dxo doesn’t and i can’t find a way for raw power to show the image as shot or a way to crop by this pseudo ‘focal length’. is this something i’m missing or would it be worth adding a toggle just for those who have cameras which have this feature?

thanks! /guy

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

Hi,

Congratulations on your Q2! This is a known limitation of Apple’s decoder – it does not respect crop modes. I will probably have to read the data and add my own crop. That’s on the “to do” list for the future.

golftango
    Participant

tks! that would really be great and help my raw workflow considerably.

while i’ve got you, i have a question about what raw power does when it loads the raw images. i (ass)ume it applies whatever lens corrections it has automatically as i see no preset for that. does it do enhance or boost or anything else automatically? in other words, is there a special raw preset it applies when the images or loaded or is the only way to apply defaults to all images to batch apply your designated preset?

tks, /guy

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

It applies lens correction for some cameras automatically. There is a checkbox to disable lens correction in the RAW processing adjustment.

RAWs automatically have a variety of development parameters applied to them, including boost, which is set to maximum by default. Other settings, like noise reduction and RAW sharpen are calculated and applied by Apple’s decoder (and RAW Power shows the value that Apple’s engine is using).

If you want a bare-bones RAW, then you would want to move the sliders to the left (except Black Point). You can make that a “camera preset,” which is a regular preset with the “camera” checkbox applied.

When you do that, then every time you open an image in Edit for that camera, RAW Power will apply that preset. That preset can have whatever you want in it, including, say, Curves.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.