Keywords

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

Yes the 2 TB limit is a real problem for people with larger libraries. I don’t have a good answer for you except that you can maintain multiple libraries with Photos. If you do not need cloud access for your entire > 2TB library, then you could make a smaller library that is for iCloud and sync that. Perhaps older pictures aren’t synced and newer ones are. That is what I would do if my library exceeded the storage limits.

Catas
    Participant

Hey Nik.
    Thank you for your suggestion.
    So we can maintain another bigger library of pictures offline and another one smaller synced in iCloud? And that one offline could be keyworded, captioned, faces named, within Apple photos? At the same time with the help of artificial intelligence?
    That’s great. I didn’t realized that. Thanks again.
    Question is: why are we crying for a DAM?

davidmacvicar
    Participant

I think it’s because Apple photos feels like a toy in comparison to what aperture or light room is. There still are many features missing from photos that would even make it an intermediate DAM or photo editing tool.

For example you can’t make a smart album that says keywords is empty. Or you cannot easily copy and paste adjustments between images without going into edit mode and doing it one by one. It’s very nice visually but lacks a lot of substance

Catas
    Participant

You are right. It is a little bit like a toy, it doesn’t have lot of options for categorizing, it could have errors some time, but I think it will grow up.
    If we are talking about applying edits in batch we have to remember that Raw Power is very well integrated in Photos and it will cover some things which are lacking in Photos. I believe that one will grow up too.

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

Photos on Mac has no limit on the number of libraries. Each library stands alone and can be keyworded, etc. Only one can be synced to iCloud.

RAW Power will work with the “system photo library” which you can also change as needed. My YouTube channel has a video on managing multiple libraries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR0wRXPg7Tw

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

Right. Photos is no Aperture and I have tried to fill in the gaps where possible. Note that Aperture and Lightroom were developed by enormous teams for more than 10 years. Aperture took several “man-centuries” to develop (including engineers, testing, etc.).

davidmacvicar
    Participant

Do you think its possible in the future apple does away with OS Photos? I am a bit worried to be honest, investing in migrating my entire library into a software like this instead of manually managing my library with other file folder type apps (Raw Photos for ex)

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

I cannot imagine Apple not having a Photo app or a connection to iCloud. Services are their big moneymaker now.

I hope to add more functionality on the file browser side but it’s going to take a while to get there. I have many top priorities:-)

davidmacvicar
    Participant

I think I would tend to agree, the iPhone market – and the iPhone as a camera is likely a huge part of their business. However, when you think about stuff they have removed in the past, it is possible.

To think they would remove Aperture seems crazy in hindsight – given that ‘pros’ use Logic and Final Cut – why wouldn’t they serve their photographer users. Photography as a hobby, as a business, etc. exists for MANY people – I would probably say that more people would have remained using a continually updated version of Aperture, vs. people using Logic Pro. I dunno – I guess I am just salty.

Rant over! Ahahah. Happy to see where RAW Power goes 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.