How to use split toning

Home Forums RAW Power for macOS General Discussion How to use split toning

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BenB
    Participant

I am new to the subject of split-toning. After watching several video-tutorials what can be achieved, I am intrigued, however the tutorials I encounter are all based on Photoshop or Lightroom.
    Looking at the UI of RawPower, it seems quite different and after experimenting I cannot figure out how to use it properly/effectively.
    Any help or (hopefully) a video-tutorial would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Ben

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

I was planning to make a video, but I just haven’t found the time. The UI for RAW Power’s split toning is fairly similar to Lightroom’s, so videos on those are probably useful.

You can work with highlights, or shadows, or midtones. You can tint them independently.

You also have the ability to work with the luminance (brightness) of highlights, or shadows, or midtones independently.

Finally, the Balance slider controls the definition of “highlights” vs. “shadows” that is, how dark must something be to be shadow (and thus the inverse is a highlight pixel).

BenB
    Participant

Hi Nik,
    Thanks fort your swift response. I can understand you are quite busy, no problem.
    I have some specific question, perhaps you can elaborate a bit -;), as there is no description in the manual yet.
    1. You mention Highlights Shadows and Midtones. The UI mentions Highlights, Shadows and “Overall”. I assume overall is then the “Midtones” ?
    2. I see the color-wheel to pick colours for Highlights, Shadows and “Overall” separately, that’s fine. However I do not see a saturation/intensity slider (as there are in Lightroom and other products), so how can I manipulate the intensity (or saturation) of the chosen colour’s for shadows and Highlights separately ? The luminance slider has som effect but not much (logically).

Thanks for your time

Ben

BenB
    Participant

Update,
    I think I already figured it out Nik. Discovered how the “saturation” is increased or decreased. Simple by dragging towards the edge of the color wheel, right ?

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

Right. That’s saturation control. And yes, it’s overall, not midtones. Sorry.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.