from Aperture to Photos + RawPower ?

Home Forums RAW Power for macOS General Discussion from Aperture to Photos + RawPower ?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mikhail
    Participant

Hi,

I have a fairly extensive Aperture library with all referenced photos. I converted it to Photos library. However, Photos has a number of issues specifically when it comes to referenced files, and so that setup is essentially unusable for me. I am considering the following setup and would like some guidance on what folks think about it:

– I’d like to keep that Photos library with referenced photos, and perhaps open/view it in Photos on occasion, but I’d like my main photo organization/editing software to be RawPower. I assume such setup is possible (based on what I saw in this forum and in the manual). yes?

– I’d like to continue adding to that same library, and all newly added photos will also be referenced, residing on an external drive. Still possible, right?

– Since all of the existing photos in that library were processed/edited with Aperture, and all the new ones will be processed/edited with RawPower, how would I be able to tell which are which? Is there a (easy/simple) way to differentiate these two groups of photos? (due to the Photos limitations that Nick has highlighted a few times, I don’t want to try to edit old/Aperture photos with RawPower and new ones with Photos).

– Finally, does RawPower have any support for videos (at least so that videos can be displayed/played back within RawPower, similar to what Photos tries to do)?

Thanks!

–mikhail

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

Hi,

– I’d like to keep that Photos library with referenced photos, and perhaps open/view it in Photos on occasion, but I’d like my main photo organization/editing software to be RawPower. I assume such setup is possible (based on what I saw in this forum and in the manual). yes?

Yes, RAW Power supports referenced files in Photos. It also supports just files in the file system (Finder folders)

– I’d like to continue adding to that same library, and all newly added photos will also be referenced, residing on an external drive. Still possible, right?

Sure, that’s fine.

– Since all of the existing photos in that library were processed/edited with Aperture, and all the new ones will be processed/edited with RawPower, how would I be able to tell which are which? Is there a (easy/simple) way to differentiate these two groups of photos? (due to the Photos limitations that Nick has highlighted a few times, I don’t want to try to edit old/Aperture photos with RawPower and new ones with Photos).

No, there isn’t an easy way to tell them apart. Photo marks Aperture images as “externally edited” – it’s technically possible for the app to tell the difference, but not efficiently.

– Finally, does RawPower have any support for videos (at least so that videos can be displayed/played back within RawPower, similar to what Photos tries to do)?

Yes, videos are supported in RAW Power. You can rate and flag them too.

You may want to download the trial version of RAW Power to see what it can do. It’s here:

mikhail
    Participant

Thank you very much, Nik. Do you have any tips/suggestions on possible ways for me to differentiate between older Aperture-edited photos and newer RawPower-edited photos? Any tricks you can think of?

Thank you,

–mikhail

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

If you haven’t edited any images with Photos (or RAW Power) in that library, then you could make smart albums in photos for all the edited images. Then, drag all of those images to a ‘regular’ album. Now you have a list of all Aperture edited images. If you have done some editing with Photos or RAW Power, then you will have to cull those out from the album.

mikhail
    Participant

Thank you, Nik. That approach would certainly give me a list of all Aperture edited images. However, is there any way for me to tell how any given image from that library was edited? Eventually the library will have a mix of Aperture edited images, RawPower edited images, and unedited images. If I pick a random image that was already edited and decide to make further changes to it, can I tell in any way whether it was edited with Aperture or with RawPower? Anyway way at all? If it was originally edited with Aperture, then if I decide to edit it further in RawPower, Photos would give me a jpeg, instead of the raw image with a list of edits applied previously. If I know if was edited in Aperture, I’d create a copy from the original raw image and would start editing from scratch in RawPower. Wheres if it was originally edited in RawPower, then I’d just continue where I left off previously. So, it seems I would really need to be able to somehow tell which software edited the image previously. Is there any way at all that this could be done?

Thank you,

–mikhail

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

I do not know of a way in the user interface to determine which app edited an image last. You could conceivably add a keyword to all Aperture edited images (using that smart album approach I mentioned). Then that will appear in the Info panel (it’s possible there is already a keyword added for Aperture-edited images, but I don’t recall).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.