Feature Request: Resize to Fit Within H px X W px

Home Forums RAW Power for macOS General Discussion Feature Request: Resize to Fit Within H px X W px

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jaberg
    Participant

I frequently have need to export an image to fit within a “box” of certain size. The current export function allows me to rescale the longest side of an image, but that won’t necessarily bring the short side into compliance with my needs. Furthermore, the entire concept breaks for portrait format images if I’m trying to batch the export.

I would really like the ability to explicitly define a maximum height and width for an exported image.

Regards and thank you for your consideration.

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

Hi, the way custom size works, it always respects the aspect ratio – that’s why there aren’t two boxes. For example, if you have an image that is 4000 x 3000, and you export it to 1000, then it will make make an image that is 1000 x 750, which is the same aspect ratio. If the image is 3000 x 4000, and you export to 1000, then you will get 750 x 1000. Are you getting a different result?

jaberg
    Participant

No, I understood that’s how it worked and I’m getting the desired result. The issue is that with certain ratios putting in the “wrong” value means that the other value is outside of the range allowed.

Of course I checked this message just as I’m off to work so I’ll follow up later with a concrete example.

Thank you so much for the reply!

Jeff

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by jaberg. Reason: More accurate assessment
    Yad
    Participant

I’d like to add my vote for this feature request too. I use a site where they require images to be sized to 900px on their width only for upload. That means a 6×4 portrait aspect ratio image is 1350 pixels high but a landscape image would be less tall. I would like to be able to specify the length of one side (not just the longest side) and let RAW Power size it correctly for me. Any chance that could happen?

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

It’s certainly possible. I did it this way because I found the interface with two boxes to be very confusing. What happens if I enter into only one field, or what happens if I have two images, one portrait and one landscape. It’s possible to play with an app with this interface to try to figure out what it is going to do, but that’s more indicative of a bad design. So, if I were to add something like this, the interface would have to be very clear (and I don’t know what that would be).

Yad
    Participant

I think that’s a fair point. One the site I upload to, they don’t draw a distinction between landscape and portrait. That means the portrait images are always more prominent than landscape images as both always have their width set to 900px.

Might it be worth looking at how others have tackled the issue? Thanks.

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

I have looked at other apps – Lightroom (the new one) also uses the “long side” concept. Lightroom Classic offers six choices, including short side, long side, and width+height. There isn’t anything about their UI that makes anything more clear.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.