Feature Request: not a manual

Home Forums Nitro for Mac Feature Request: not a manual

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Pito Salas
    Participant

Ok, not a manual, I understand why you don’t want to get into that. But videos have their own problems.

But here are a few ideas that would be far less work for you

– crowdsource a wiki and let us fill it in and you can check and correct
    – a feature and terminology list that allows one to lookup e.g. What menu Image/tagss does, etc etc.
    – a few high res screenshots with callouts to everything
    – a crowdsourced FAQ that you can check and correct

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

These are interesting ideas. However, I’m not convinced they are less work, and wikis can devolve into debates instead of information.

The other problem is that these will not help non-English speakers. The app will be localized in 6 languages (plus English). Videos get close captioning automatically which is helpful in those cases (if not perfect).

I’ll keep it in mind. Thanks for the suggestion.

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

The RAW Power manual is a giant PDF written in Word, and is a hassle to make and maintain (and translate). At some point, I will work on an HTML-based manual which I can add to over time (so the initial manual won’t be complete, but at least people will get it sooner).

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

The app also has an FAQ inside of it. If you have topics you think should be in the FAQ, email me and I can add them.

Joachim Jundt
    Participant

“– crowdsource a wiki and let us fill it in and you can check and correct”

Sorry Pito Salas, as a technical author I’d like you to just give us at least one link to an app where that idea is working properly and with reliable content. For now, I am convinced this won’t be working. Why?

Anybody in that crowdsource will get Nitro after it’s released.
      Then write some articles into the wiki, with some errors about functions, terminology, translations.
      These errors will need more time to get fixed than the app itself.
      Anybody looking into that wiki will have to spend some time to find out which article is credible and which is under construction.

Nik, in my experience Word is about the worst tool for this job, but I admit to be one of the worst users as I have too many reservations against it and no experience at all on Word for Mac as I refuse to install and pay this plague. Unreliable, complicated, unpredictable are the first topics coming in my mind.

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

That’s why, if I write a manual, it will be HTML based and not written using a conventional word processor

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.