Color Reversal Negatives

Home Forums Nitro for Mac Color Reversal Negatives

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    John Perry
    Participant

Here is my workflow; use a tethered Sony a6300 + macro lens to scan/ take a photo of the colour negatives in RAW. I then use FilmLab to invert the scan to color. Which generally it does quite well. Export to a JPEG and then to Graphic Converter to sort out date, location and metadata. Load the jpeg to Photos.

FilmLab is a clever piece of software, but what it does is relatively opaque. (I don’t want to knock FilmLab at all, and I am sure there are others that do color inversion very effectively as well), but…

Are there any thoughts/ views/ plans to incorporate a ‘clever’ inversion engine for color reversal film in Nitro? While FilmLab is good at what it does, I personally prefer the diagnostics, control, OS and Photos integration of Nitro. It would also bring my scanning of historic negatives and transparencies into one work flow, which would be a win for me. I wonder what others think around the challenge of digitising color reversal film and does Nitro have a place in the process.

P.S. I fully accept the term ‘clever inversion engine’ leaves much unsaid – I probably don’t know what I mean!

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

I don’t know what FilmLab is doing for this conversion so I cannot comment on it. Have you tried the “Negative <-> Positive” preset in Nitro to see how it compares? It’s in the Tone section.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.