Auto Enhance option

Home Forums Nitro for Mac Auto Enhance option

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Simeon Coope
    Participant

Hi there,

I find that the Auto Enhance functionality generally works well, but I find myself often going back and resetting the Vibrancy (which is typically increased) under the Enhance controls.

I wonder if there might be another option added to Disable vibrancy changes (along with the existing WB and Levels) under the Auto Enhance settings?

Nik Bhatt
    Keymaster

The control for levels isn’t disabling levels – it’s whether to use Levels or Curves. Only White Balance can be turned off. Are you saying that the intensity slider doesn’t meet the need to dial back the effect (I understand that it dials back everything).

Simeon Coope
    Participant

Hi Nik,

Thanks for the explanation of the “Use Levels” option, I hadn’t realised it was a Curves/Levels toggle.

What I’d like to avoid any direct automatic adjustment of colour intensity (vibrancy/saturation) if possible. Something closer to the Auto Option of the Light controls in Apple Photos which only adjusts what would basically be the Tone functions in Nitro.

This may just be an edge case with the particular way I like to work, but I felt it worth mentioning as it’s an ability I have with other tools.

thewildrover
    Participant

To be honest, I also have a particular workflow too.

Likewise, I do also find the Vibrancy level with Auto Enhance a bit too much. The effect is OK, but just more than I prefer for my personal taste in what I’m looking for in my adjustments.

To be fair, I haven’t found a single app where its Auto Enhance feature does give a perfect final image. As Nik has mentioned in past tutorials, it can be handy as a starting point though.

Personally I prefer a more ‘natural’ finish to my initial adjustments, so nearly always want to turn down some of the adjustments.

I’m always experimenting with different adjustment techniques, but currently it comprises of the following.

Apply any cropping, straightening, or lens adjustments.
    I may add a preset (such as a Provia LUT for my Fuji images).
    Then hit the Auto Enhance button (WB off, Levels on).
    My next step is to set Luminance mode for Levels, and reset Vibrancy to 0, and adjust Saturation instead. I feel this gives that more natural look I’m after.

I just find that the Luminance mode, along with Saturation, works better when you have a lot of solid colour in an image – such as areas of green, with grass or trees etc. it’s especially better for solid reds.

Then it’s whatever other adjustments might be needed.

Of course it’s each to their own, and it’s not really practical to make the Auto Enhance work perfectly for everyone. There’s also the danger of overwhelming the user with too many options, and you might as well not bother using Auto Enhance at all.

However, the idea of having an Auto button on certain adjustment panels is appealing. That could be more useful, especially with the exposure based settings. Some of them do already have one of course (Levels and WB for example).

Although it shouldn’t matter what order adjustments are made in a modern Raw workflow, the practicality of it means that it does actually matter. Many adjustments are still dependent on other adjustments that are made.

Cheers

Andy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.